http://usalug.org

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Palm Tungsten T|X

Well, there hasn't been a post in a few days. I got sick. I'm working on a big post about Red Hat, and figured while I'm trying to finish that, I'd bang out a review on the the Palm Tungsten T|X that I just bought. Being in the Coast Guard, I sometimes need docs on the go. The geek side of me wanted a new toy. Something with expandable memory, and wifi. Something I can listen to music, surf the web, and still be able to produce at work. The T|X has been a perfect fit. Though it is a bit hard to create documents without a keyboard. (That is on order...Ebay is great) I have a wireless network here at home. I was at the playground with the kids the other day, and figured I'd break out my new toy. I picked up my home wifi network from over a hundred yards away. I was pretty impressed. I am able to sync with my laptop using jpilot. I tried kpilot first but that whole evolution was a little flaky. Jpilot works great. I'm still trying to figure out how to sync my calender and address book, in the mean time though, I've been adding all of my contacts from industry into it. This way I have everyones phone number and email with me when I'm out in the "field".

I would recommend this device to anyone who is on the go all the time at work. I sometimes travel 300 miles round trip a day to conduct all the inspections we do down here, so this has been a godsend.

Coastie

No comments: