http://usalug.org

Friday, May 9, 2008

Hardy Heron is Hardy

I have been testing the Hardy Heron release for quite some time, and now it has been released. I quickly grabbed two versions of it, the Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 remix Live CD and more recently the Xubuntu 8.04 release. I still have an instance of the test release on my HP desktop. I had upgraded it when it began Beta testing and there had not been very many changes. Some day soon I will try upgrading that instance to the final release and see how that goes. The original installation of that instance was an early Alpha build, possibly Alpha 1. I had been impressed with even the Alpha release, so I was confident that the final Hardy Heron would be very good and it is.

Ubuntu software is designed for the beginner and the intermediate user, though anyone can use it. While sidux is still my top every day distribution and I still really like SimplyMEPIS for every day stable desktop use, the Ubuntu versions are very nice too. Of the variations, I like the current Xubuntu best, which is why I installed it on my new Lenovo. I used the Wubi technology, so it is closely tied to the Windows Vista setup.

I will be installing sidux on the Lenovo very soon, and hopefully Arch Linux as well.

No comments: